The jammie dodger! A much-loved biscuit that many enjoy. So what if I told you that I am sharing a recipe to help you recreate this at home?
Valentine’s day is the perfect opportunity to show someone you love them with a sweet treat. The jammie dodger traditionally has a heart-shaped centre exposing the gooey and tasty jam, and so it makes it the perfect biscuit to consider at this time of year.
However, I am doing one better. I am transforming the jammie dodge biscuit into a Mickey Valentines Jammie Cookies.
Disney is such a well-loved part of people’s lives. It doesn’t matter whether you obsess over the films, sing the theme turns over and over in your head or look forward to booking those Disney trips, it can be an amazing part of your life.
Disney-themed food is becoming popular, so I wanted to share with you this fabulous recipe. A crumbly and tasty cookie that is hiding a gooey and delectable jam centre. Exposed just like the traditional jammie dodger does.
So if you are interested in learning how to recreate these biscuits at home then read on to find out all of the details.
Ingredients needed to make Mickey Valentines Jammie Cookies
There are a few different elements to help you create this recipe. But here is a list of everything that you need to create these tasty treats.
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 ½ cup flour
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¾ cup raspberry preserves
- 1 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- 1 – 3in mickey mouse cookie cutter
- 1 – 1in mini heart cookie cutter
How to make Mickey Valentines Jammie Cookies
Makes: 16 cookies
- First of all, you will need to preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then get yourself two cookie sheets and line them with parchment paper.
- Using a standing mixer, or a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and almond extract until creamy and fluffy.
- Then get your dry ingredients and gradually mix into the wet ingredients until combined and dough-like.
- Remove cookie dough from the mixer and place it onto a lightly flour dusted cutting board ready for you to cut out your cookie shapes.
- Place dough onto cutting board and dust with more flour and then roll the dough to about ¼ in thick.
- Cut out 12 mickey heads and place them onto the cookie sheet.
- Then take your mini heart cookie cutter and cut out 6 hearts in the center of the mickey head
- Bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes or until a light golden brown and looking like they are crisping up.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before moving off the tray.
- Place the cookies with the heart in the middle onto a wire rack
- Dust with powdered sugar
- Spread about 1 tbsp of raspberry preserves onto the whole Mickey head cookie.
- Carefully place the mickey head that has had a heart cut out of the centre on top of Mickey’s head that you have just spread the jam over.
There you have it, your Mickey valentines jammie dodger cookies.
Recipe notes and tips
This is a relatively straightforward recipe to follow and one that you can enjoy over and over. It is also a recipe that your children might want to get involved with it as well. I wanted to share with you a few extra notes and tips to ensure that you can recreate these at home with ease.
- Make sure that you give the cookies enough time to cool before you add the icing. Don’t rush this stage. Adding icing to hot cookies will cause the icing to melt and not hold its form.
- Make sure you preheat the oven before placing the Mickey valentines jammie dodger cookies in there to cook. It ensures that the cookie bites get a blast of optimum temperature so that they cook all the way through. This also helps them to crips up to form that crumbly texture.
Variations to try
Like with many recipes there will always be variations to try. Here are a few suggestions.
- You don’t need to stick with Mickey or Minnie versions of these cookies. You can get as creative as you like. As it is Valentine’s day why not use a larger heart shape cookie cutter instead? Or you could even use a cookie cutter in other Disney characters to create a few different options. Always keep the small heart cookie cutter for half of the cookies you make.
- Why not add some chocolate chunks to the cookie dough? This could add a whole different element to them.
Of course, there will always be questions that everyone might have when it comes to trying a few different recipes. With the Mickey valentines jammie cookies recipe here are some of the common questions that you might have.
Can it be made ahead of time?
You can get to the stage where you create the dough and leave it before rolling it out and cutting the cookie shapes. This is also an excellent base recipe to create all sorts of cookies.
Can you freeze the cookie dough?
Yes, you can! You can make the dough and then freeze it and use it as and when you need it. Perfect for when you need to get some cookies out quickly for everyone to enjoy.
How should I store the Mickey valentines jammie dodger cookies?
They are best stored in an air-tight container and in most cases, it would be ideal to store them in a cool dry place.
Enjoy your Mickey valentines jammie cookies.